First off I wanted to give an overview of the trip and what we'll be doing. I will be helping to put on a retreat for the Masai women. These women have no rights and are not even considered as important as the cattle owned by their husbands. Their husbands usually have 3-7 wives (as many as they can afford). They work extremely hard in their villages and carry heavy loads on their heads. The retreat aims to show these women that they do have value to God. There will be teaching about women in the Bible and how God used them, women in today's world, dealing with grief and hygiene. There will be music, crafts, afternoon tea and meals provided. So far about 250 women are expected to attend. Each woman will go home with a mattress, toilet paper and soap.
I don't have all the details yet, but I know we'll be flying into Nairobi and then drive around 3 hours into the Masai Mara, which is a game reserve in southwestern Kenya. We will be camping in tents and be in the bush for most of the trip. We will be working with Firewind Ministries.
http://firewind.org/water/default.asp?T=503705&DID=1200
The dates are May 27-June 9 and the trip itself costs $3000.00. I will be doing both group and individual fundraising. It's a short time period in my eyes, but I'm learning to trust God to provide. I will be continually posting updates on the trip as well as prayer requests and praise. Thank you so much for your support!
http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Kenya/Map

1 comments:
Good job Shantel!!! We are all praying for you!
Post a Comment